It’s no secret I love Italian food. I’m pretty sure my love of Italian food is rubbing off on our children as well, which is good for me because that means I can make it more often! The problem is, though, I’ve kind of gotten stuck in a rut. I like all sorts of Italian food yet I seem to always use the same ingredients and recipes over and over again. I was in desperate need of expanding and trying new things! I was thrilled for the chance to try the Colavita Simply Italian Gift Basket!
Disclosure: I participated in this event on behalf of Wendy’s Bloggers for Colavita. I received Colavita products to facilitate my review. Regardless, all opinions are my own and those of my family.
Colavita is a family-owned olive oil and Italian food brand that offers a variety of great Italian foods and oils. When I received my Colavita Simply Italian Gift Basket, I couldn’t wait to open it up and check out everything! It’s not only chock full of goodies, but it comes nicely packaged as well! This automatically made me thing “What a perfect gift!”
The Colavita Simply Italian Gift Basket includes:
- Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Colavita Balsamic Vinegar
- Cirio Crushed Tomato with Basil
- Colavita Eggplant & Sweet Peppers
- Colavita Olive Bruschetta
- Colavita Marinara Sauce
- Colavita Tomato Basil Sauce
- Colavita Penne Rigate
- Dal Raccolto Capellini
- Dal Raccolto Orchiette
- Almond Cantuccini
All of this for just $75! What a great value, right? I was excited by the possibilities! The best part is they also offer a complete recipe library, so if you’re stuck in a rut like I have been, inspiration is at the click of the mouse! I got to try my hand at a new Italian Recipe from Colavita!
Eggplant and Sweet Pepper Veggie Pasta (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil OR 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 jar Colavita Eggplant and Sweet Peppers
- 1 pound Colavita Pasta
- ½ jar Colavita Marinara Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
The only substitution I made was using shredded cheese versus grated cheese because we moved recently, and I haven’t found all of my kitchen utensils yet!
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Heat 2 tbsp Colavita Olive Oil in large skillet over medium-low heat.
(These can be done simultaneously, which I always love to do! Being a busy mom, I’m all about being efficient!)
3. Add the garlic and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the jar of Eggplant and Sweet Peppers and simmer for another 3 minutes to release the flavors.
4. Add the ½ jar of Colavita Marinara (or Tomato Basil) Sauce and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to incorporate all the flavors.
5. When the water boils, add the pasta, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook according to package directions.
6. Drain pasta, reserving about ½ cup of the pasta water and transfer the pasta to the skillet with the sauce. Using tongs, mix the pasta into the sauce well.
7. If the sauce seems dry, feel free to add a little of the pasta water.
8. Season with salt and pepper and serve with grated Parmesan cheese and basil.
Voila! A tasty dish the whole family loves! Even our picky 4 year old gobbled it up! This recipe takes pasta from drab to fab! It really has a lot of flavor, the texture of the pasta was wonderful, and I was truly impressed with the quality and taste of the Colavita products. We also complemented our meal with the Almond Cantuccini, which is a crunchy, tasty treat!
Of course, I still have more to use, and I can’t wait! Upon browsing on the Colavita website I also discovered they offer organic and gluten-free pastas as well!
I love the history of Colavita and love that they offer quality products the whole family can enjoy!
For More Information:
How would you like to win a Colavita Simply Italian Basket? This giveaway will run through December 13, 2014 at 10pm Central Time and is open to US residents ages 18+. Enter the giveaway now!!