You may find this hard to believe, but I’m not very social. I know what you’re thinking! I post all these fun pictures that make me look outgoing! Plus, you know how even my “condensed versions” of stories or blog posts are still pretty long, so clearly I have a lot to say, right? Yes, I do! I love, love, love writing! In fact, I almost forgot how much I love it until I started writing on here again. (I have started finishing my books I started so long ago as well!) One of my favorite memories in college is a one-on-one meeting with my English professor. She was awesome. I distinctly remember her questioning my major (International Business) when I clearly had such a passion for writing. Well, she was right. I never did get my business degree because I wasn’t motivated to continue when times got tough. It really was NOT my passion. That truly is another story, though.
Do you want to know another favorite college memory? Being a DJ for the radio station. It wasn’t just a little radio station, either. It had a pretty decent reach! My DJ name was “Bijou Burke.” I also helped as part of the sports team in the background at basketball games to give the commentators the up-to-date stats and as a reporter for regular updates on air. It was awesome!
I also really enjoy public speaking. Give me a topic that I love and I can talk for hours, but we covered that, right? Haha Sure, I feel nervous, and I say “um” or “uh” a lot, but I love it! I’m really passionate when I write AND when I talk! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people ask me if I’m a performer, actress, public speaker, etc. when I would speak in front of people in “regular” situations like when I used to do group dog training classes or when I would introduce myself in a group situation and share a little about myself and my family. People tell me they loved hearing me speak because I’m so expressive.
So, hold on…
Isn’t this post supposed to be about how I’m NOT very social?
Yes. Here is the irony of it all. I’m getting ready for my first blog conference this summer, and I’m a little nervous! I truly am NOT very good at socializing. Put me in front of paper, a computer, on the radio, on TV, in front of a crowd of people, etc. and it’s a beautiful thing. Put me IN a crowd of people, and I freeze. It’s the one on one thing I’m not so good at. I know it’s partially because of my SPD because it is sensory overload for me. Proximity is different when you’re next to someone versus being in front of a crowd. Plus, back and forth conversation is harder for me when there is background noise whereas if I’m speaking I am totally focused on just what I’m saying, so the anxiety level is actually lower.
Beyond that, I can’t explain it. I’m just not good at going up and saying “hi” to people. Crazy, right? I will just stand there looking like a lost puppy and not say a single word to anyone unless someone approaches me. Even saying this it seems beyond ridiculous! Clearly, I won’t allow this to happen at the conference because I’m not going there to stand around looking lost, but I’m going to have to really give myself a pep talk to get over my social awkwardness and make some great connections – and hopefully new friends!
Fab Mum Award!
I absolutely love the blogger friends I’ve made and have been making! I love little things like this “The Fab Mum Award!” Thank-you to Jill at Frugal Plus for nominating me! 🙂
Thank-you, Jill! I was surprised (and excited) to receive your nomination! I LOVE learning more about the writers of the blogs I read, and I love sharing more about myself! I think this is so much fun!
Nominees need to do the following:
When one receives the award, one posts 10 random facts about oneself and answers the 10 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
Pass the award onto 6 other blogs (while making sure one notifies the blogger that one nominated them!)
One writes up 10 NEW questions directed towards YOUR nominees.
One is not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated one’s own blog!
One pastes the award picture into ones blog. (Copy and paste the image above and put it on your blog!)
10 Random Facts About Me:
1. I have a freckle in my left eye
2. I grew up in Ohio in a town with less than 2,000 people
3. I was obsessed with cats when I was a kid ans always acted like one. Our daughter does the same thing even though I didn’t share that with her. I find that kind of stuff really fascinating!
4. Our house is most likely haunted. We call “him” “Bob.” Yes, I’m serious.
5. I used to be a dog trainer and Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, but OUR dog has anxiety so bad she’d never pass the Canine Good Citizen test. I’m still not convinced medicine is the only option, but I’m getting closer to being convinced because I’ve tried EVERYTHING else.
6. I love chocolate. (OK, that’s probably not that “random!” haha)
7. My feet grew half a size after I had kids.
8. During my first pregnancy I was in a major car accident (trying to evacuate from Hurricane Rita) at 9 weeks and had to have my appendix removed at 15 weeks, yet that was my “healthiest” pregnancy!
9. I LOVE writing and am a bit of a grammar “nerd.” Unfortunately, I felt the need to pursue business in college, and it kind of followed me. I actually had an English teacher that would often try to convince me I was in the wrong major and really should pursue something in the English field. I probably should have listened. I’m excited to finally “let the writer out” per se.
10. Speaking of writing, I tend to be very descriptive, and I may write a bit too much. In person, I may talk to much when I get to know you. Overall, though, I’m actually a shy, reserved person!
My 10 Questions from Jill
1. What’s the best/worst gift you’ve ever given/received?
Hmmm… I am pretty boring with this one because I honestly can’t think of any memorable gift that was either really great or really awful. Oh, I got one! One year I received a used oven mitt for Christmas. It even had a burn hole in it! lol
2. What is your favorite food?
3. What was the last movie or TV show that made you cry or tear up?
Lately, all I’ve been watching is Dora or Diego, and they aren’t exactly tear jerkers!
4. If you had to pick one hero, who would it be?
5. When you have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
Now I get to play World of Warcraft again! I haven’t played in over a year, but I have really missed it because it’s my husband and my fun time together!
6. What is your favorite outfit to wear?
Jeans and a basic shirt. I’m pretty simple.
7. If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
8. What do you miss most about being a kid?
Being athletic! After I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue a few years ago I don’t do as many things as I used to – like playing sports. I’m working toward joining some co-ed sports teams next year, though! 🙂
9. Do you or would you have a Dog or a Cat for a pet?
We have a 4 year old Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) and an almost 1 year old cat.
10. What is your goal for 2013?
To really open up to where I’m feeling called to be – a homeschooling mom, a writer, a sewer/crafter, etc. Trusting God to take care of the rest and allow myself to finally be “free” to do what I truly WANT to (and feel called to) do. I want to start writing a book, for one!
Questions for my Nominees:
1. Do you use your kids’ real names on your blog or nicknames?
2. Did you have a resolution for 2012? How did it go?
3. What is your favorite movie and why?
4. If you could travel anywhere in the world – where would you go first?
5. What do you think about sarcasm in writing? Funny or hard to tell the difference (or something else)?
6. What is your favorite picture?
7. What is your best childhood memory?
8. If you could go back in time and change something, would you?
9. What do you hope to get for the holidays this year?
10. Why did you start blogging?
My awesome nominees:
Couponing with Integrity
Singing Through the Rain
Mudpies and Tiaras
Exploits of a Military Mama
Beautiful in His Time
(OK, I added 7 because I knew one, for sure, couldn’t participate, but I still wanted them to be noticed!) 🙂
ABC's of Me
*I’m going to try to make sure this is updated in case any details change! Updated 2/27/13*
A – ABC’s – although I don’t share our kids’ real names for privacy reasons, I will share that their names start with A, B, and C (technically they’re “out of order” by age – B, A, and C, but ABC nonetheless!) 🙂 Son, daughter, son.